Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Homelessness

I was watching the news last night and they reported finding a 70 year old homeless man dead by a train track just covering up with a light blanket. They suspect the freezing temps caused his death. I think this is very sad. 70 year old people should not be homeless!!!This happened in Medford, I think thats about 140 miles south of me. Last year in my town a older homeless man was found dead sleeping under the stairs at the shelter, I guess they were full, he froze to death.
I understand there are people who cause their own homelessness by using drugs and I understand sometimes life just falls apart for some people, but to be 70 and die from sleeping outside in the freezing temps is just horrible!!
Last night I was so worried about the homeless cats that I feed. I have one little house outside my front door and one of the cats I feed was laying in there last night. he such sadness in his eyes. I worried all night. I covered the opening to his little house. I have some of those emergency hiking blankets that are supposed to keep you warm so tonight I will cover his house with one of those and on payday i will purchase another container to make a house for another cat I feed. if they only knew they could buddy up to stay warmer. Stay warm everyone!!! Our deep freeze is expected to stick around one more night, then tomorrow we should hit the 40's during the day. I dont think the weathermen know for sure. They called for snow one day then retracted it the next.

3 comments:

Haf Dozen Reasons....... said...

How sad!!! Stay warm!! And the kitties too.

Celticspirit said...

Stories like that make me angry. There is not reason for the elderly to be homeless like that. What happened to the days when people respected and took care of their elders? In many other countries it is still that way but not here.
You are a special person for taking care of those cats.

Celticspirit said...

I had an enounter with a homeless man and posted about it on my blog.